Wednesday, December 07, 2005

"A library is thought in cold storage." - Herbert Samuel

Today we dropped Olivia off at Gymnastics and I decided that instead of sitting around in the gym that I'd take the boys to the bank, deposit some Avon checkage, and then we'd go to the library.

Backstory:

Before we left for Buffalo in October we had a gazillion books to return. I had pulled up our account history of what was due and we had every book accounted for, save one. This one that was no where to be found just happened to be about Pilots. I made the kids look for that book for hours before we left to return them, to no avail. Mikey swore, up and down, that we returned it the week prior. I wasn't too convinced but had to let go of it. After all, the very next day we were trekking up north and really what could I do? So, we went in to the library and I metioned to the librarian that we couldn't find this book and that the eldest boy could have sworn that it was returned. She said, "That's not a problem. We'll just suspend this book in the system. If you find it, bring it back." Sure thing, mama!

We had one more book that was forgotten at home and since it was so late I asked Michael to return it for us. He said he would; said being the operative word. Lowe and behold, we return home and the Rhino book was still on the counter. Michael had forgotten to take it back. Late fee. Then, a few hours later, as the kids were preparing for slumber I hear "OH BOY!" and the kids run up to me. Mikey was carrying something but I couldn't quite make it out until he held it up and I could see, it was the Pilot book.

"Uh, Mama, we forgot that this was under all the stuffed animals on Benny's bed!"

"You forgot?"

"Yeah."

"But I had you scour the whole house for this specific book. Did. I. Not?"

"Yes, but, uh, we, uh, forgot it was there."

At this point I told the kids that they would be responsible for the fines on this book. Which were looking at about $5.00. They were unhappy but it was their fault.

Fast forward to today.

I go to pull into the library and I hear Mikey mutter something. For all I know he could have said "Oh Shit" but he really said "Oh No". He went on to tell me that he didn't have his money and what about all the fines and how were we gonna take books out if, yadda yadda yadda. I told him not to worry about it and that we'd eventually pay the fine. No problem.

We get our books. We go to check out and the librarian says, "You have an outstanding fine." Mikey gulps and I say "I know but we can't pay it right now." and she tells me that it's ok if we pay it next time. [This next part could have happened in slow motion for all I know] I ask, "How much is the fine?" and she responds with "foooooooooooooorrrrrrttttttyyyyyyyyyy ceeeennnnttttssss". OMG, fourty dollars? No, fourty cents? WHAT? What the hell? Phew. Ok.. Really? Yes, really. **wipes brow**

I look over at Mikey who is looking at me all relieved and all I could think was, "What a bunch of lucky fucks we are!"

No comments: